Some dogs are “hooked” on their current dry kibble or other lower-quality commercial pet food (often flavor-enhanced) and they see no reason to accept something new, however healthy (or unhealthy) it may be for them.
This is similar to a child who is used to eating fast food every day and is suddenly expected to eat vegetables. Here are some tips to try if you find that your dog is being particularly stubborn (feel free to experiment with your own ideas, too!).
- Try mixing in a small amount of ground meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc.) with the food.
- Offer the food for just 30 minutes, whatever is not eaten within this period, pick it up, refrigerate, and serve it to them at the next feeding time. Healthy animals can fast for a day at a time with no harm. Note: If your dog is used to free-feeding, the first step will be to teach a new schedule of regular meal times.
- Rehydrate The Honest Kitchen with a low-sodium broth (like our beef and turkey bone broth) in replace of the water to add additional flavor.
- Add a spoonful of plain yogurt, cottage cheese, or a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Or try one of our meal toppers that add flavor, yet are still 100% human grade and healthy.
- Adjust the texture of the food by increasing or decreasing the amount of water to make the food more or less soupy.